Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What We're Reading, Our Country, and the Alphabet!

 More great books!
  • I'm Too Big / Soy Demasiado Grande (we laugh a lot over the silly illustrations!)
  • Rabbits & Raindrops 
  • Olivia...and the Missing Toy (quickly becoming a favorite - we will have to buy this one)
  • We're into Lentil this week, using the FIAR curruculum. I took inspiration from the suggested ideas today and made a little lesson on our country. I printed off an American flag. We counted the stripes and the stars. Then we got out our map of the USA and counted the states to demonstrate that the number of starts was the same as the states. We then located out state, the states where our relatives live, and the state in which the story Lentil takes place. D colored the flag and we listened to the Star Spangled Banner and talked about what a national anthem is and when we sing it.
After reading and the lesson. D wanted to do artwork, so he worked with his watercolor paints, creating several imaginative representations for his daddy. Then we moved to puzzles. I was impressed with the speed he finished two puzzles. The third puzzle was of the alphabet, which we've been working on. He's been asking lots of questions about how we spell certain words or what letter certain words start with. We took a  while with this puzzle, D repeatedly referring back to the alphabet song to figure out what letter came next. Once he knew the next letter, with little difficulty he was able to locate the letter. So impressive! I think we'll probably work on that puzzle again this week as he really enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails