Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Reflection on Service

This morning I reflected on the bible passage of Mark 10:35 - 35 thanks to my daily devotional from Our Daily Bread.

As a mother and a wife, I am a leader in my home. It has been a huge transition from being a leader in the community and a leader in the workplace. In the home, there are no awards or public recognition to fan your ego. No bonuses, no office parties, no one to take you to lunch for going above and beyond on your performance review. I often say that it is harder to be at home full time than it was working outside in a job full time! What I mean by this is that you have must take on complete accountability and responsibility for keeping a good attitude in an environment where there is little recognition for all the little things you do to make the day run smoothly for all. It is not a complaint. It is just a fact. Even with a supportive spouse and fantastic kids, you must tend your attitude carefully. There is rarely someone around to tell you when you're doing a good job, give you direction,  or to enjoy idle "water cooler chatter".  There is always more to do and with the exception of the day of rest, never a "paid" vacation or sick days. Even vacations are a lot of work!

For any mom with small children, it also means a lot of repetitive, manual labor. No one would come into my cubicle and mess up my files or desk at will, but how often do I just get the kitchen cleaned when another meal is on it's way and the family invades, leaving pans and dishes everywhere and muddy shoe prints on the floor? The key is to keep a good attitude. An attitude of service  and submission is what keeps me anchored to lightheartedness when frustration or overwhelm threaten. I love my family with all my heart. It's just my fragile ego that objects. Submission, in this context, meaning to cooperate with someone out of love and respect for God, first and the person second, as a divine creation. A prayer goes out to God to keep compassion and humility in my heart, and I carry on, leading myself and my family in right attitude and communication with a servants heart.

We can sign up for any number of leadership training seminars, but the only good leaders are those who are first and foremost good servants. —Julie Ackerman Link

Mark 10: 42 - 45

42 Calling them into Himself, Jesus said to them "You know that those who are recognized as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them; and their great men exercise authority over them.
43 "But it is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant;
44 and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be slave to all.
45 "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

Fore more of the Gospel of Mark, you can go to On-line Bible !

In Light and Joy!

1 comment:

  1. This is GREAT and soooo true!!! I clicked over from the Lounge, as I kept seeing yer name and LOVE yoga!!! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails