Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Running is Quiet

I've instituted quite time during the afternoon. This is new. Ever since Daniel was born he has been unwilling to conform to a set schedule. He rarely took naps until he started going to day care a year ago. Then he would only nap there and rarely at home. And certainly not along any repeating time line. In the last year we've developed a pattern for the night time rather than a schedule. The pattern is dinner, tub time, one “Little Bear” segment on television, reading 3 books in bed, and finally laying there with him until he falls asleep. This pattern can start anywhere between 6pm and 9pm. He does look forward to it and throughly enjoys tub time.

So quite time has come about largely out of my own need for a mid-day rest. Daniel seems to be able to go all day. Certainly I can tell by late afternoon that he is tired, however he cannot be convinced of this. I realized now that I am home with him all day and keeping an active schedule with him, that in order to not get cranky myself by the time dinner rolls around and to have energy at night to do all the things I no longer get to during the day (writing this being a perfect example) I need to lay down and close my eyes for an hour between 2 and 4pm. So we now have quiet time. I put on something low key like Winnie the Pooh or Sesame Street. He doesn't have to sleep but he does have to use his quite voice and is expected to watch the movie or play quietly with his toys. He is allowed to wake me up at the end of the movie if I'm not already awake. He is surprisingly compliant with this. Sometimes he will actually snuggle up next to me on the couch and every once in a while he will fall asleep as well.

Today was not such a day. He was quite energized as 2pm approached. I, on the other hand, could barely keep my eyes open. I was clearing away his snack and going over the ground rules for quite time.

“Okay, you need to be quiet while I take a nappy, okay? I'll put on “Princess Bride” and you can play quietly with your toys, okay?”

“Mom, can I run around?” he asked.

“No,” I replied. “I need you to be quiet.”

“But running is quiet, mom. Can I?” he asked again. I stopped and thought for a moment. He had a point. Running in and of itself wasn't actually noisy. Clearly I was asking him for more than simply being quiet.

“Well, I need or you to be quiet and to keep your body calm so there are no accidents while I take my nap.”

“Oh.” he replied with solemn understanding. “Running is too dangerous.” he nodded.

“Yes, running is too dangerous inside. After my nap we will go outside and you can run around then.”

“Oh, okay!” he smiled and settled into his chair for the show. “I love you so much mom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails