Monday, July 6, 2009

This is How We Get Dressed!

My strategy around television is always evolving. I do put time limits around it and try to use it strategically. I've been trying to push Sesame Street lately for a variety of reasons, the primary among them being that Daniel doesn't really watch it. He usually gets inspired by one of the skits within a few minutes and is off into imaginative play for the remainder of the show. It is in essence a launching pad into his own imagination.

Today I put Sesame Street on and used the time to get on-line and do some research. As I was Googling away I heard Daniel singing over and over, “This is how we get dressed! This is how we get dressed!” After a few minutes of this, he excited called to me.

“Mom, look at me! This is how we get dressed!”

I looked up. He had gotten his pajamas out of the laundry basket of clean clothes. He had put both of his legs into one leg of the bottoms, the shirt top over his head and one arm in one of the arm holes. He was struggling to find the other arm hole and the shirt was on backwards. All of this was over top of the clothes he already had on. He was so proud and beamed a huge smile of satisfaction.
I broke into a smile, careful not to laugh, and said, “Look at you, you've gotten all dressed!”
“This is how we get dressed!” he said again.
I can only imagine that this had been a skit on the show and he'd become inspired. Interestingly enough, David and I had attempted many times to teach Daniel to put on his clothes and he had not shown any interest. I guess it is true that it is all about proper inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails