Monday, January 18, 2010

The Simple Woman's Daybook blog - January 18, 2010

January 17, 2010 - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!


Photo for thought... (don't have one today - sorry!)

2 Quotes from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 

 Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction....The chain reaction of evil--hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars--must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation. - Martin Luther King, Jr., Strength To Love, 1963.
The curse of poverty has no justification in our age. It is socially as cruel and blind as the practice of cannibalism at the dawn of civilization, when men ate each other because they had not yet learned to take food from the soil or to consume the abundant animal life around them. The time has come for us to civilize ourselves by the total, direct and immediate abolition of poverty. Martin Luther King, Jr., Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community?, 1967.

Outside my window... a gray day, sleet, snow, wet coating.
I am thinking.. of the many things I have to compete in the next few days... trying to keep faith that if it is right that it will all somehow get done; of the people in Haiti and praying for them; reflecting on Martin Luther King Jr. Day and his last campaign, "The Poor People's Campaign" and how can we, in any small way, keep moving the campaign forward.
I am thankful for ... my precious life, for the health and safety of my family and friends, for being at home with my son and being able to learn along side of him.
From the learning rooms... my son is playing with his transformers following a fun morning of Katy and the Big Snow, counting, and building a Lego city.
From the kitchen...lunch is finished and we're getting ready to go to the grocery store. I'll tackle the dishes when i return. Only 2 more days until GE comes to look at the dishwasher!
I am creating... an integrated life; an at-home day of service - making sandwiches for Sherry's House with D this afternoon.
I am going...to Walmart and will teach yoga this evening.
I am reading... A Day of Rest by Martha Whitmore Hickman.,.
I am hoping... the people of Haiti receive the assistance they so badly need. I am praying for them.
I am hearing...the marching feet of my son, the car alarm go off outside, the dog barking....
One of my favorite things...having the whole family home.
A few plans for the rest of the week... leading a 20-minute demo yoga/movement class for prescholers with special needs.

Inspired by The Simple Woman's Daybook

"Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself". 
- Leviticus 19:18

36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[a] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'
-  Matthew 22:36-39

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails