Saturday, January 9, 2010

What do God and a 3-year old have in common?

Yesterday, after taking my son to get his hair cut at his favorite place, Snip Its, I was buckling him into his car seat when he reached out and hugged me close, saying, "Mom, I love you!"

"I love you too!" I replied, savoring the hug.

"That makes me a little bit like God." he stated matter-of-factly.

"Well, I guess it does. God loves all of us, doesn't He." I said, my eyes brimming, my heart truly touched.

"Yes, and He gives all kinds of wonderful things to be thankful for!" He replied. "Can I have my green army men?" he asked.

It took me a minute to process the request, realizing that my son was staring up at me expectantly. He asked me to keep them safe in my pocket while he got his hair cut so they wouldn't get lost.

"Sure buddy," I replied, reaching into my pocket and fishing the troops out.

How often do we feel inspired to reach out and embrace someone and tell them how much we love them, to assure them how much they are loved by many, but we resist out of fear or self consciousness? I believe that God often works through people to let us know how much we are loved. If we resist the impulse, we are impeding that divine thread of connection. Who are we to short circuit a message from God for someone else? The next time I get that impulse, I'm going to let go and trust that it is perfect and that it is exactly what that person needs to know in that moment. I am thankful to my son for that reminder.

When we truly let love flow through us to connect with another with an open heart, unconditionally, we are all like God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails